Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126211] Re: evaluating functions and displaying results numerically
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:35:12 -0400 (EDT)

Problems I can see off-hand, in order:

1) You didn't post your code, since Ref is undefined.

2) You didn't post much of your output, either... though enough to see
some problems.

3) Mathematica absolutely WILL NOT return a symbolic answer if even ONE of
the terms is Real and the others have a numeric value. For instance:

1. + Sin[1] + Pi

4.98306

The first term is Real and the other two are numeric, so the sum is Real.

4) The output in your PDF shows at least three unevaluated If statements.
That only happens if the first argument of If is undetermined by your
input. Show me the Ref function, and I might be able to explain how that
occurred in your case, but it's definitely not Mathematica's fault.

5) Abs will return a symbolic answer if its argument is symbolic, which it
certainly WILL be if there are unevaluated If statements in it.

6) The output also shows the following term inside the first call to Abs
(I think; it's a bit hard to read):

161.100 I | 1.[<<5>>,<<2>>]

That means you have a syntax error that tried to use 161.100 I | 1. as a
function name.

| is the symbol for Alternatives, so it should only appear in patterns.

Post the code, and I'm sure you'll get better answers.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com