Re: Controlling scale of Graphics on paper

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126223] Re: Controlling scale of Graphics on paper
  • From: Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 05:25:48 -0400 (EDT)

In article <jn38bm$g8l$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu> wrote:

> I would like to use Mathematica to make printed templates of various
>
> kinds.

[snip]

> So, my question is how best to achieve a specified scale on paper.
>

> TIA,
>

> Joe Gwinn
>

> Dear Joe,
>

> There had been once a discussion on this subject here, though I have no
> reference to it. The outcome consists in the relation:
>
>   1 cm = 35.7744 pts. Then if you need to specify the size of your graphics
>   say, 10 cm x 15 cm, you could do the following:
>

> Plot[Sin[x],{x,-Ï?,Ï?},ImageSizeâ??35.7744*{10,15},AspectRatioâ??1]

Thanks. By the way, the above renders correctly only if interpreted as
UTF-8.

I tried:

Plot[Sin[x], {x,-Pi,+Pi}, ImageSize->35.7744*{10,15}, AspectRatio->1]",

and the X and Y axes have different scale factors. Nor do I get a delta
of 1 on either axis being one centimeter on paper (8.5" by 11"), or one
inch if ImageSize->72*6 (for one dimension being 6").  I'm wondering if
AspectRatio->Automating will cause X and Y scale factors to be equal.
Yves Klett suggests use of PlotRange as well. These will be tried.

I'm guessing that three different things will all have to be set
correctly and self-consistently to achieve a fixed and uniform scale on
paper.

Joe Gwinn