Re: Controlling scale of Graphics on paper

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126256] Re: Controlling scale of Graphics on paper
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:50:37 -0400 (EDT)

On 2012.04.21. 6:32, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> I would like to use Mathematica to make printed templates of various
> kinds.
>
> In one use, a complicated shape is generated mathematically and
> displayed using Graphics or Show, the plot is printed on paper, the
> paper is glued to a piece of wood, which is cut and drilled to the lines
> and center-points.  This requires the ability to control the on-paper
> scale factor, so that a length of 1.0 in a line ends up being one inch
> (or one centimeter) on paper.
>
> I assume that this is possible, but have not found anything relevant in
> the online documentation.  What I have done is used Mathematica to make
> dolls of machine parts; in this case it was sufficient that all be in
> the same scale, which was achieved using ImageSize->72*6 directives, but
> ImageSize doesn't speak directly to the issue of scale on paper.
>
> It may be that ImageSize->{w,h} can be used, but there is some math
> required.
>
> So, my question is how best to achieve a specified scale on paper.

You got several suggestions.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet
is exporting to DXF.

DXF is a CAD-specific format, so there's support for printing to exact
scales.  First export to DXF, then open it with a CAD program or a DXF
viewer and print to a precise scale.  I think this will fit your
application best.

If you are going to go the PDF route, this might be valuable (similar to
other suggestions):

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/750/12

You'll need to get rid of any PlotRangePadding and ImageMargins too, if
you choose this route.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Visit Mathematica.SE:  http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/