MathGroup Archive 2012

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126272] Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 05:25:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Delivered-to: l-mathgroup@mail-archive0.wolfram.com

Being a member of this group for a number of years has allowed me to watch immature newbies develop into highly competent Mathematica users. I've had the same feeling of awe when I started typing easy things and hitting the shift+enter to obtain amazing results. I now feel that I started learning mathematics after I learned, little by little, how to use Mathematica. I assure you that I possess an average human mind, and I consider myself to be somewhere between the second and the third class in terms of Mathematica skills.  My modest advice is: follow this group, where a number of prominent practitioners offer generous assistance to beginners; try to follow their solutions; set yourself problems to develop your skill, and take advantage of the possibility of asking for help whenever you're stuck, however dumb you think your question may be.It takes anywhere from four weeks to six months to start flying on your own. Other places to visit are http://mathematica.stackexchange.co
 m!
/ and http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ One other interesting place is http://blog.wolfram.com/ where the Wolfram experts never cease to amaze me.
There must be a few things you can't do with Mathematica, but so far I've not met them.
Good hunting!
-Tomas

> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:50:16 -0400
> From: lukewallace1990 at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
>
> Holy cow. I can't believe that is even possible from just typing code.
> It looks like an alien language to me how can I ever hope to know what
> I'm doing and write that stuff myself? Are you using some kind of
> graphical interface to arrive at that code or something, or are you
> just doing math stuff all day?
>
> But please tell me where I can learn to do what you just did, and is
> it possible to make the 2D interactive object you guys just made into
> a 3D one to also express volume not just area? I mean I know it's
> possible theoretically but is it too advanced for an average human
> mind to write down in code?
>
> How long did it take you to write that code because to a newbie like
> me it looks like it'd take two weeks (it was the first thing I used
> mathematica for, took me forever to realize shift+enter makes it
> compute then I jumped out of my seat)
>

• Prev by Date: Re: Find all roots with FindRoot
  • Next by Date: Black box optimization
  • Previous by thread: Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?
  • Next by thread: Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?