Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126276] Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 05:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, Mathematica is pretty great and you can do all kinds of wonderful and
useful things with it including learning subject matter and writing powerful
technical documents.

But it takes time to learn it and get good at it. How long did it take you
to learn to write good English, or for any person to express themselves well
in their native language? I seem to recall that the schools spend years and
years on such subjects. How much more difficult is it to learn how to do and
write good mathematics? The idea that one could use Mathematica with
facility "out of the box" is something of a delusion.

This is why those who are aiming for technical careers should be learning
Mathematica as early as possible in secondary school so that when they get
to tackling difficult material they don't have to learn the most basic
things. Unfortunately, very little of this is actually done.

Many students find themselves in the position of having to tackle difficult
course material with Mathematica without knowing Mathematica well enough or
having the time to learn it. That can be very frustrating and not leave a
good first impression of Mathematica.

So if you have a long term interest in mathematical subjects then try to
take time out to learn Mathematica. Work through the tutorials in the
Documentation Center and the Help examples. Try actually typing them in
yourself and making variations. Then try to fly solo by taking SIMPLE
non-Mathematica books and trying to work problems. Try to write tutorials on
various simple topics in which you explain to others how to solve problems
or how some mathematical construction works. It's the best way to learn.
They may even end up being useful to other people.

It really is nice if you can spend the time.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: luke wallace [mailto:lukewallace1990 at gmail.com]

Holy cow. I can't believe that is even possible from just typing code.
It looks like an alien language to me how can I ever hope to know what I'm
doing and write that stuff myself? Are you using some kind of graphical
interface to arrive at that code or something, or are you just doing math
stuff all day?

But please tell me where I can learn to do what you just did, and is it
possible to make the 2D interactive object you guys just made into a 3D one
to also express volume not just area? I mean I know it's possible
theoretically but is it too advanced for an average human mind to write down
in code?

How long did it take you to write that code because to a newbie like me it
looks like it'd take two weeks (it was the first thing I used mathematica
for, took me forever to realize shift+enter makes it compute then I jumped
out of my seat)