Evaluation of a whole notebook from another one

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg127553] Evaluation of a whole notebook from another one
  • From: "Dr. Robert Kragler" <kragler at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 05:58:45 -0400 (EDT)

I have a simple question:

There is a nb-file, say "Source.nb", which is called and should be evaluated as
a whole (containing several procedures in a group of input cells) from another
nb-file, say "Application.nb" which needs these procedures for further

Within "Application.nb" the notebook "Source.nb" is correctly opened and pops up
by NotebookOpen["filepath\Source.nb"]. It is, of course, possible to evaluate
the cell group manually but the idea is to do this automatically and then return
after evaluation to the calling nb-file "Application.nb" and close "Source.nb"
using NotebookClose["filepath\Source.nb"].

I miss a command such as NotebookEvaluate[...]. The commands EvaluationNotebook
and SelectionEvaluate are not just doing what I want. Suggestions are appreciated.

R. Kragler