Simplifying expressions using rules with recursion

I would like to use Mathematica to simplify a long expression consisting of tems of products of matrices. These matrices obey equations of the form A = A.B.A, and I would like Mathematica to use these identities to simplify my expression.
How can I tell Mathematica to do that? Just entering

[1]: A = A.B.A

does not work, as Mathematica will complain about too man recursions (which I understand). But how do
I do it properly?