Re: Mathematica issue

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127852] Re: Mathematica issue
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:35:39 -0400 (EDT)

First, your equation even in ordinary mathematical notation is syntactically incorrect -- an unbalanced number of parentheses, so we cannot begin to guess what you had intended.

Second, you might begin by using correct Mathematica syntax once you know what the equation actually is:

  - do NOT use square brackets for punctuation, as in Mathematica they are used only to enclose function arguments;

  - use the DOUBLE-equal sign == to form the equation, not a single equal sign; and

  - do NOT use upper-case letters C and D for constants, since they are reserved symbols in Mathematica.

Let me use lower-case letters throughout the equation, changing A to aa, B to bb, etc.

Perhaps your intended equation, in correct Mathematica syntax, is:

   aa + bb + x^a (cc - dd x^b) == 0

Third, use the Mathematica Documentation Center built into the software to see how you might solve this, say by searching for "solve". The first hit you'll likely get is for "Solve.

(If you had spent any actual time whatsoever learning anything about Mathematica, you'd probably already know that. Or at least that the appropriate function might indeed be named "Solve" -- with an upper-case 'S' in its name, since all built-in Mathematica functions have names beginning with an upper-case letter.)

Fourth, look at the provided syntax for Solve and/or examine the examples given. You'd quickly discover that the way to try to go about answering your question would be:

   Solve[aa + bb + x^a (cc - dd x^b) == 0, x]

Alas, you'd find that Mathematica cannot produce a solution -- which, given the equation, is hardly surprising!

P.S. When you write to MathGroup, it would help greatly if you gave a Subject that is more specific than the vague "Mathematica issue".

On Aug 26, 2012, at 2:51 AM, Kashyapa Sirinanda <ghanadithya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...My question is;
>
> I need solve this equation [A +  B  +  x^(a)  (C - D x^(b) ]=0,
>
> A,B,C,D,a and b are constants.
>
> I need analytical expression for the x in terms of A,B,C,D and a,b,
>
> I was wondering is this can be done using Mathematica? if so how would i do that? ...

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts                  413 545-2859 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                      fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305