Re: V9 !!!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg128877] Re: V9 !!!
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 04:37:50 -0500 (EST)

One thing that is nice is that if you have a six core machine you now get
six parallel kernels!

I don't know if I like the Predictive Interface very well. As many people
know, I like to view the notebook interface as a plain piece of paper that I
write on. With the New CellInsertionPointCell, and now the Predictive
Interface it is gradually morphing into something that looks more like a
palette. How many more doo-dads are they going to add? And the little
buttons tend to interfere with other material on the page. Many will like
these features, but if you don't like them you can disable them. The
CellInsertionPointCell feature can be disable by an option for the notebook
(in the Style Sheet say) CellInsertionPointCell->None. (You can get
WolframAlpha just by typing = as the first character in a new cell.) And the
Predictive Interface can be disabled by the "Show Suggestions Bar after last
output" checkbox on the Preferences, Interface.

The new Input Assistant (ShowCodeAssist in the Options) is a problem for
package developers. Previously one could use Ctrl+K to complete an entry
and, if the function format was used as the initial portion of the usage
message, Ctrl+Shift+K would complete the entry with a labeled template. But
that no longer works in package design.  On the Workbench Raw Function page
there is a "Syntax Templates" entry and I assume this is the new way of
entering this information. However, WRI has given ZERO information on how to
enter this information and the few guesses I have tried don't work - and
take too long to check. I think I did once ask them about it and got no
answer. This is pretty bad treatment of developers since this is a major
interface feature.

They say they have new ColorData schemes, but I don't see them.

If you want the ColorSchemes palette to remember its position and state, you
will have to go into the Wolfram folders and give the user control of the
file - at least on Windows.

The new Vector Analysis functionality is fairly nice, extending to higher
dimensions.

 That's all I've had time to look at so far.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: alexxx [mailto:alexxx.magni at gmail.com]

Version 9.0.0 is here...
anybody installed it yet? Reactions, critical bugs... ???