Re: V9 !!!

Having a built-in function to do something, e.g., find rank of a matrix,
tends to discourage students when they are asked to build up a function
of their own that accomplishes the same thing beginning with more basic
operations. They just don't appreciate the value of the exercise as a
means to building and reinforcing their understanding. Moreover, it
becomes too easy for them to check whether their own function works
properly; without the higher-level function they formerly had to devise
test cases and check their function's results by hand.

On Dec 3, 2012, at 4:04 AM, Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2012, at 11:01, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
>
>> However, I've always had mixed feelings as Mathematica has grown to
>> build in more and more mathematical functions. At times this has taken
>> the edge off what was a valuable exercise for my undergraduate students:
>> defining more complicated functions -- e.g., div in vector analysis or
>> nullSpace in linear algebra -- that forced students to understand the
>> precise underlying definitions and algorithms. And it tended to take
>> away a sense of power and accomplishment when students could start by
>> defining the simplest kind of function, such as performing a single
>> elementary row operation, and step-by-step building ever more
>> complicated functions, culminating in something relatively
>> sophisticated, such as finding the orthogonal projection of a vector
>> upon the span of a given set of vectors, and even going further, such as
>> using the latter to find the least-squares solution to an overdetermined
>> linear system.
>
> But what stops you from continuing to do this once Mathematica has these
> new functions? In fact, one of my favourite methods of teaching
> Mathematica and mathematics at the same time is to ask students to
> emulate with their own code some particular mathematical function that
> exists in Mathematica. There is a great deal one can learn by doing this
> sort of thing. The the existence of a Mathematica function in this
> situation (particularly a well documented one) is actually a great
> bonus. Besides, of course, there is a difference between the needs of
> teachers and those of researchers and other users - for many purposes
> user defined functions are too inefficient for serious work (and even
> more so when these users are not expert programmers). On a personal
> level: I spend a great deal of  my time developing mathematical
> structures in Mathematica, but far from being dismayed when they are
> made obsolete in new versions by more efficient built-in functions, I am
> always happy and excited when this happens. This is because almost
> always the existence of these new functions opens up new possibilities,
> and quite often things that were quite unrealistic in earlier versions
> become easy in a new one. From my perspective, the most exciting thing
> about Mathematica 9 I have noticed so far is the ability to easily
> simulate various stochastic processes with functions such as
> RandomFunction, ContinousMarkovProcess, ItoProcess, etc. This alone is
> worth the upgrade even though it makes many and perhaps most of my
> contributions to the Wolfram Demonstrations Project obsolete. But that
> it the price I am happy to pay as I can already see a number of new
> things that I can now do with these functions that did not appear ever
> worth attempting before. The same thing happened with the upgrade from
> version 7 to 8, with the appearance of the FinancialDerivative function.

> [...]

---
Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305