Date Formatting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129009] Date Formatting
  • From: bigchap86 <ross.d.chapman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 01:30:16 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

Quick question re: date formatting:

So I've imported a data set externally from Excel with the intent to try to plot a time series graph. Unfortunately, the dates have come in the following format:

Mar-28-2008

When using the DateListPlot function, Mathematica does recognize this date format as a date, as long as you put each data point into the formula individually, and put quotations around them, e.g.:

DataListPlot[{1,2},{"Mar-28-2008", "Apr-03-2009"}] works as a function, BUT if you set {"Mar-28-2008", "Apr-03-2009"}=dates, and use DataListPlot[{1,2},{dates}], it doesn't work.

Anyone have ideas on how to reformat the dates so it works? It appears that there's some sort of disconnect when the dates are entered into a series.

Thanks!