Re: Mathematica 9.0.0.0 for windows crash

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129035] Re: Mathematica 9.0.0.0 for windows crash
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:01:56 -0500 (EST)

With some past versions on Windows, right after installation Mathematica
itself would crash, not Windows, when there were any font issues. The
fix was always to manually delete the Mathematica fonts, then
re-install.

On Dec 8, 2012, at 1:32 AM, Dietmar <Rempfer at iit.edu> wrote:

> No, for me Mathematica 9 continues to be a disaster: I uninstalled
8.0.4, and attempted to install 9.0 using the supposedly "fixed"
installer. The result was a BSOD on first starting up Mathematica. I
then attempted each of the fixes mentioned in the knowledge base
article. The result is that the Mathematica frontend crashes on startup.
So this is a no-go: I am unable to install and run Mathematica 9,
period.

> I might add that the Mathematica installer has had issues with font
installation for years. One wonders why it is that every piece of
software on the planet can successfully install their fonts on a Windows
machine, but Wolfram has trouble figuring this out.

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305