Derivative of experimental data

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg124733] Derivative of experimental data
  • From: Robert McHugh <bob_mchugh_2000 at>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 02:09:10 -0500 (EST)

Gabriel,   I have had good results for a similar problem using the methods described in the link below.

The algorithm described above can be implemented very efficiently with ListConvolve

For the system I analyzed, the system has a 24 hour period and measurements are recorded every minute.  While the general trend of the data was clear to a human observer, the data was noisy and the analysis required estimates of the derivative of the data.  In this case I used N = 51 (i.e. 25 data points on either side of the time of interest).

Best Regards,