Re: Derivative of experimental data

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg124760] Re: Derivative of experimental data
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 06:31:38 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 3, 6:12 pm, d... at wrote:
> Some URLs to past discussion are here:
> Upshot: Smooth interpolation (splines maybe) or Fourier methods might be
good for this. Also I wonder if finite differencing, with more than just immediate neighbors, might be alright? (This assumes you only used the immediate neighbors; if you tried with more and it was no good then that's that.)
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

there are plenty of difference schemes outlined in the documentation:

but any differencing method (sans smoothing of some type) is going to
give noisy output (right??)