Typing errors? was ... Some assistance from seasoned users.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg124918] Typing errors? was ... Some assistance from seasoned users.
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 05:02:02 -0500 (EST)

On 2/11/2012 12:46 PM, peter livingston wrote:
> Folks!
> I have recently come to the pleasures of Mathematica from other popular but
> very expensive programming methods that I, as a retiree, cannot afford.
> My specific question is this: why am I able to get Mathematica to do the
> complete integral of sin(x)/x, but it refuses to do any of the other types:
> specifically sin^3[x]/x or sin^3[x]/x^3 over the half interval from zero to
> infinity. (see page 449 of G&  R  Table of Integrals).

If in fact you are typing Sin^3[x]/x, you might try typing Sin[x]^3/x.
You might also be more specific about (a) the subject line of your
message,  and (b) exactly what Mathematica did.  "Refuses" is not very
With Mathematica 7 I got pi/4 for the Integrate[Sin[x]^3/x{x,0,Infinity}]

> It seems to suggest that throwing away my Gradshtein and Ryzhik is premature
> in spite of the claims in the Mathematica "Mathematics and Algorithms"
> manual.

Regardless of this particular result, I agree.