Re: Packages - trivial question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125197] Re: Packages - trivial question
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 00:45:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I'm sorry for such a trivial question, but what does mean the
> backapostroph behind the package name, when one wants to get
> package?

it is the character which serves as the separator for context names.

> For example: <<  PhysicalConstants`

that is just a short form for Get["PhysicalConstants`"]

> I'm trying to find it in the documentation, but I'm not successfull.
> Is it the same symbol as it is used for NumberMarks i.e.
> 0.3333333333333333` for example?

it's not a symbol and serves a completely different purpose in those to
cases...

> I think, that in the case of packages it means something like
> "definition space", because for example: Remove["Global`*"] should
> remove all the symbol definitions in current session.

it removes all symbol definitions in the "Global`" context. If you have
experience with other languages you can think of a context as a
namespace for symbols. If you don't, think of it as a "folder" for
symbol names as you have "folders" for filenames in your computers file
system.

> But I'm still confused of the little but magic  `

nothing magic, if you are interested in the details look up
tutorial/ContextsAndPackages in the documentation center and the
reference pages for BeginPackage, Begin, $Context, $ContextPath.

hth,

albert