How to access notebook name counter?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123936] How to access notebook name counter?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 02:25:38 -0500 (EST)

When a new notebook is created, it gets the name Untitled-xx, where xx
is a number.  Is there a way to create a new notebook programmatically
and avoid incrementing this number?

CreateDocument[{}, WindowTitle -> "something"] increments it, even
though a name is explicitly set.

Alternatively, is there a way to access this counter, and decrement it?

Motivation:  I was looking for a way to rasterize the selection in the
notebook from a palette button.  My current solution involves creating a
new notebook, and copying the selection to it.  Please see here:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/8684575/695132

I'd prefer not ending up with Untitled-bignumber just because I use this
many times.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Mma QA site proposal: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/37304