Does this make sense?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123941] Does this make sense?
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 02:27:22 -0500 (EST)

There is an option for Graphics called Method. The existence of this
option is documented. However how the option works is apparently a
secret! This from tech support:

"Unfortunately, we cannot disclose those details that cannot be found
in the documentation. I know that "technically", Method is a
documented option for Graphics, but it does not show the details of
the Method Option."

This was in response to my request for details about Method. Some
scraps of usage examples can be found in various forums where
developers have posted this information but I was seeking a more
complete list. For example I had asked tech support whether grid lines
could be brought to the front in a graphic. It turns out they can and
the way to do this, found by accident on a forum, is Method-
>{"GridLinesInFront" ->True}.

I understand why details of an undocumented option, presumably subject
to change, would not be passed on to users. What I do not understand
is why Wolfram would even list Method as an option to Graphics in the
first place if users are never allowed to use it. What is the point?
This seems to defy logic.

Mike