Re: Mathematica on tablet computer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123997] Re: Mathematica on tablet computer
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:05:13 -0500 (EST)

Dear=C2 =C5 er=C3=BDch Jakub,

Mathematica does not run on any tablets. It is much too big a program,
and requires too much memory and too much speed to run on any of
today's tablets that I know of.

To use Mathematica from my iPad, I  use a program that lets you
control your computer (Mac or PC) remotely from your tablet. Then I
have Mathematica running on that computer. Thus I can effectively use
Mathematica from my iPad.

That should also work with Android, because I am sure there must be
some Android program(s) available to control another full-size
computer, just as there are several such programs for the iPad.

The specific remote-control program I use is called SplashTop.

    http://splashtop.com

You run one part of the Splashtop system on your Mac or PC, and the
other part runs on your tablet.

SplashTop seems to be the best remote control program for my purposes,
but I have not tried them all. Splashtop is certainly not perfect, but
it works for me.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Ralph

2012/1/3 =C5 er=C3=BDch Jakub <Serych at panska.cz>:
> I hope, that my queestion is not too much off topic for this group.
>
> I'm planning to buy tablet PC (or netbook). My first candidate is ASUS Tr=
ansformer Prime, but the problem is, that until now it is sold only with An=
droid OS (it is promised, that it shall be sold with MS Windows 8 in the ne=
ar future).

> As a teacher I don't need any massive computation, but I realy do need Ma=
thematica running on that device. I would like to ask group members if they=
 have any personal experiences with Mathematica on such devices (tablet PCs=
 or netbooks running Windows or Linux (not MacOS)).

> The second question is for group members from Wolfram: Is Wolfram plannin=
g to sell also Android version of Mathematica in the future? If not, would =
it be teorethicaly possible to run Mathematica on Windows 8 running on ARM =
processor platform?