JordanDecompose[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124012] JordanDecompose[]
  • From: Leslaw Bieniasz <nbbienia at cyf-kr.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 05:58:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

MATHEMATICA has a built-in function JordanDecompose[]
that can computes a Jordan normal form of a given matrix,
and the related similarity matrix. Most importantly, it
can obtain symbolic representations of these matrices,
for a matrix given exclusively in terms of symbols
(no concrete numbers, but symbols representing matrix elements).
My question is: what kind of an algorithm is used by this
function, in the symbolic mode of operation?
I would appreciate references to the mathematical literature
describing the algorithm.

Leslaw