NDSolve and "periodic" boundary conditions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124009] NDSolve and "periodic" boundary conditions
  • From: gac <g.crlsn at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 05:57:49 -0500 (EST)

Can NDSolve use a "periodic" boundary condition something like:

     f[0] = f[1]+1      (I know it's not actually periodic)

Even better, since I want to solve a PDE, something like:

     f[0,t] = f[1,t] + I Exp[I t]

I can't get around this error:

     NDSolve::bcedge: Boundary condition... is not     specified on a single edge of the boundary of the computational domain. >>

I'm trying to solve Eq. (8) of Bowers' and Moody's "Cavity equations for a laser with an injected signal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 11:2266 (1994).  The boundary condition is the reflected cavity field (periodic) plus the portion of the injected field transmitted into the cavity through the output mirror.

Thanks very much.

GAC