DirectoryStack[] not showing top directory stack item

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124037] DirectoryStack[] not showing top directory stack item
  • From: phillman5 <phillman5 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 04:19:49 -0500 (EST)

Looking at the on line help for DirectoryStack it shows the following
example:

SetDirectory[$InstallationDirectory]
  "C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\6.0"

DirectoryStack[]
   {"C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\6.0",
   "C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\6.0\Documentation\
   English\System\ReferencePages\Symbols", "C:\Documents and
   Settings\roger\My Documents"}

However when I request a DirectoryStack it never shows the top item

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]]
  /Volumes/RamDisk/D1 line                  <--this is correct

DirectoryStack[]
  "/Users/phillman5"                              <- missing new stack
value set above

However if I do a Directory[] I do get the top entry

Directory[]
  /Volumes/RamDisk/D1 line

On starting Mathematica it shows that the DirectoryStack is empty.

Also  ResetDirectory[] shows the resulting top DirectoryStack item,
not the one popped.

I am using Mathematica 7.0.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.8