Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124029] Re: How to plot divergence of gradient as contour plot
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 04:17:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Szymon,

In principle there is a special package, VectorAnalysis for that, but in this case it may be faster to make it "by hands". If I understand you right, you would like to make 2D vector operations. Let us first define the 2D gradient and divergence:

grad[f_] := {D[f, x], D[ f, y]};

div[{f_, g_}] := D[f, x] + D[ g, y];

and now define your function and plot. Try this:

f = div[grad[Sin[x + y]]];

ContourPlot[f, {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}]

Hope this helps. Have fun. Alexei

Hello there,

I am concerning to plot something like that.

ContourPlot[Divergence[Gradient[Sin[x + y]]], {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}]

Plotting divergence of gradient scalar field.

How can I manage to do that?

Best regards,

Szymon Roziewski

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.