Lack of 3D plot rotation handles ?

I generate a GraphicsGrid of ListPlot3D[]s within a Manipulate[]. I can rotate the viewpoint on some of these, using the usual handles (cursor changes to curved arrow pair icon), but not others (cursor remains fixed as panning icon).

I tried finding some correlation to this behavior, such as grid placement, or wrapping a plot within Dynamic, but no evident correlation.

How can I get rotation handles for all my plots?

Thanks,