Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124218] Re: Can't use subscripted variables in function
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 02:53:48 -0500 (EST)

a[i] is less cluttered than Subscript[a,i], it works better as a variable,
and it's easier to enter and access.

If you want a[i] to LOOK like Subscript[a,i] in displayed results, you can
execute:

subFunction[
   a_Symbol] := (MakeExpression[SubscriptBox[ToString@a, i_], f_] :=
    MakeExpression[RowBox[{ToString@a, "[", i, "]"}]];
   MakeBoxes[a[i_], f_] :=
    SubscriptBox[MakeBoxes[a, f], MakeBoxes[i, f]])

subFunction[a]
Array[a, 10]

{Subscript[a, 1], Subscript[a, 2], Subscript[a, 3], Subscript[a, 4], \
Subscript[a, 5], Subscript[a, 6], Subscript[a, 7], Subscript[a, 8], \
Subscript[a, 9], Subscript[a, 10]}

You'll see subscripts only when a value is not defined, but that's true
for subscripted variables, too. For instance:

a[2] = 3;
Subscript[a, 5] = 12;
Array[a, 10]

{Subscript[a, 1], 3, Subscript[a, 3], Subscript[a, 4], 12, \
Subscript[a, 6], Subscript[a, 7], Subscript[a, 8], Subscript[a, 9], \
Subscript[a, 10]}

and also

Table[Subscript[a, n], {n, 10}]

{Subscript[a, 1], 3, Subscript[a, 3], Subscript[a, 4], 12, \
Subscript[a, 6], Subscript[a, 7], Subscript[a, 8], Subscript[a, 9], \
Subscript[a, 10]}

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com