How to check whether an infinite set is closed under addition?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124277] How to check whether an infinite set is closed under addition?
  • From: Rex <aoirex at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 04:51:49 -0500 (EST)

Given k positive numbers a_1<a_2<a_3<...<a_k, and all integers greater
than a_k, we want to check whether this set {a_1, a_2, a_3,...a_k, a_k
+ 1, a_k+2, ......} is closed under addition.

Is there any easy way to do this? any functions that we could use in
Mathematica?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.