How to coerce a string pattern to an ordinary pattern?

Hi,

How do I coerce a string pattern to an ordinary pattern?  For example,
I might want to select those elements of a list that are pairs of
strings, where the first string matches the string pattern

Thank you so much for your time.

Andrew DeYoung
Carnegie Mellon University