Re: Can the code of a function obtain the names of its arguments?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124414] Re: Can the code of a function obtain the names of its arguments?
  • From: Michael Stern <nycstern at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 05:07:52 -0500 (EST)

I asked a related question five years ago. You can find the discussion
at http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2006/Aug/msg00111.html
and linked pages.

Personally, if I wanted do something like this today, I would probably
change the inputs of the function so that the user passes both the
variable and a string.

So, if
a=2;b=3;c=4.
then Max[{a,b,c}] == 4

but if we want the variable name, we can do something like this:

myMax[valueAndName_List]:=First[SortBy[valueAndName, First]][[2]]

myMax[{2," a"}, {3, "b"}, {4," c"}]
="c"