Re: log-like symbols?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124427] Re: log-like symbols?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 05:12:22 -0500 (EST)

On 1/18/12 at 6:02 AM, alan.isaac at gmail.com (Alan) wrote:

>Does Mathematica have log-like symbols? (E.g., LaTeX's \ln, \lim,
>etc.) If so, how to enter them.  If not, how do people handle this
>in their inline math and display formulas?

My approach has been to use StandardForm for input cells and
TraditionalForm for output cells. And then later (if I want to
send a PDF or printout to a colleague who does not have
Mathematica) convert the input cells to TraditionalForm.

I find it inconvenient to enter TraditionalForm directly.
Additionally, I have more confidence in what Mathematica will do
when I enter things in StandardForm than TraditionalForm. But I
find it easier to understand output in TraditionalForm
particularly things such as matrices.