Re: navigate notebook, further question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124662] Re: navigate notebook, further question
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 05:08:25 -0500 (EST)

You  are correct that a long scroll is not a convenient form. That's why
codex books won out over scrolls.

Use Section and Subsection organization. Add ShowGroupOpener -> True options
to these cells to make it easier to open and close them. The Presentations

Application style sheet has these built in for all Section and subsection
grouping cells (but not Input/Output groups). None of the WRI style sheets
have them.  Do close the sections.  The Menu -> Cell -> Close All Subgroups
will close them all but has the disadvantage of also closing all

Input/Output groups as well. I prefer to just close the Sectional groups by
hand.

You could write Text cells at the top of the notebook with Hyperlinks to the
various sections using cell tags on the Sectional grouping cells. This would
form a table of contents. However, this is a bit of work to do for all
notebooks and still leaves the long scroll.

It's not that much work to open and close sections by hand and a notebook
with a proper balance of sections and scrolling is ideal - much better than
antique scrolls or the codex book form with its arbitrary division into
pages.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html<http://home.comcast.net/%7Edjmpark/index.html>

From: Alan [mailto:alan.isaac at gmail.com]

As some of my notebooks are get larger, navigating is becoming clumsy.

I expected to find a navigation menu somewhere, which could be traversed
hierarchically.  Of course if you close all cells, you end up with something
like that, but I don't want to start by closing all cells.  Is there a way?

This is probably a FAQ but I didn't find it answered.

Thanks,

Alan Isaac

Dear David, dear MathGroup members,

The approach formulated by David as well as by some other MathGroup members is good, of course, except for the case when a huge code is placed into a single cell of the notebook. Though this case seems somewhat pathological from the first glance, one may sometimes find it useful. In this case closing cells is out of question, but still navigation may be desirable.

I wonder, if it would be possible to make a personal navigation using Goto, Label and InputField. Namely, if it would be possible to create a palette with the input field

where one can type in the labels names placed in the code body to jump to the point, this becomes such a navigation system.  Probably the same approach might be used to navigate over cells. I should admit though I did not succeed making such a palette.

Have you any idea of how to make that?

Best, Alexei

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.

IEE S.A.