Re: How to write code for Plotting Polar Coordinates in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127258] Re: How to write code for Plotting Polar Coordinates in
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:22:52 -0400 (EDT)

I have no idea what "equation" you're trying to plot. You have two
equations, one for r and the other for theta. But neither equation makes
any sense in Mathematica syntax.

Moreover, I cannot make any _mathematical_ sense of what you're trying
to express with those two equations. Ordinarily, a polar plot involves a
function r(theta) = some formula involving theta, which is interpreted
then as describing distance from the pole as a function of angle.

In Mathematica, such a function would take the form

    r[theta_] := expression involving theta

for example:

    r[theta_] := 2 Cos[3 theta]

And then you would use PolarPlot like this:

   PolarPlot[r[theta], {theta, 0, Pi}]

But to begin, you have to explain carefully and precisely, in
unambiguous language/notation, what you're trying to do.

And then you have to learn elementary Mathematica syntax as well as how
to use the marvelous and extensive help system (Documentation Center)
that's built into Mathematica -- which includes many, many examples.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305