Re: Algorithm Analysis Course: Should I use Mathematica for projects?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127291] Re: Algorithm Analysis Course: Should I use Mathematica for projects?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 01:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
On 13 Jul 2012, at 08:55, Richard Fateman wrote:

> On 7/12/2012 1:59 AM, djmpark wrote:
>> I'm not an expert at computer science so others may have something better to
>> say there.
>>
>> But I think your "Pros" argument is correct. Mathematica is broad enough and
>> deep enough that it is worthwhile getting good at it and it takes time.
>>
>> Are you aware of the book "Computer Science with Mathematica" by Roman E.
>> Maeder. It was published in 2000 for Version 4, but is still probably plenty
>> useful.
>>

> An example.
>
> Create 3 arrays.
>
> A=Table[i,{i,0,100}];
> B=Table[i,{i,0,1000}];
> Q=Table[i,{i,0,10000}];
>
> Try updating the 50th element of each of these items, which look like
> arrays in Mathematica.
>
> Timing [A[[50]],{i,0,100000}]
>
> Timing [B[[50]],{i,0,100000}]
>
> Timing [Q[[50]],{i,0,100000}]
>
> On my computer, these results take
> 0.266 seconds, 0.453 seconds, and 2.25 seconds,

This must be a very remarkable computer indeed since on my computer I get:

In[1]:= A = Table[i, {i, 0, 100}];
B = Table[i, {i, 0, 1000}];
Q = Table[i, {i, 0, 10000}];

In[4]:= Timing[A[[50]], {i, 0, 100000}]

During evaluation of In[4]:= Timing::argx: Timing called with 2 arguments; 1 argument is expected. >>

Out[4]= Timing[A[[50]],{i,0,100000}]

I have to admit I am quite curious how this is going to turn out to be really Wolfram's fault.

Andrzej Kozlowski