Re: What is best trick to eliminate flicker in simulation animation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127370] Re: What is best trick to eliminate flicker in simulation animation?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:52:32 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/19/2012 9:21 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

And to help show what I mean better, I made an update to
my toy example by adding a bob mass at the end of the
pendulum.

If you click on the animate button and then look at the bob as
it swings, you'll notice that it is hard on the eye to look at,
since it has a flicker and also a double image effect as it
moves on the screen back and forth.

The only way to make it easier to look at is to slow the animation
much more.

Here is the updated copy. I put it in a plain text file, simply
pasting it into a new cell is all what is needed to run it

http://12000.org/tmp/july_19_2012/flicker_effect_notebook.txt

Please feel free to make any changes needed.

But I think the only way to solve this is by doing double buffering
graphics, and I do not know how to do this in Mathematica Graphics
or Graphics3D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering#Double_buffering_in_computer_graphics

I have to solve this problem, else making animations that runs
fast and smooth at the same time in Mathematica will always be a
problem for me.

thanks,
--Nasser