Re: Sending an interrupt to the frontend?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127415] Re: Sending an interrupt to the frontend?
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 01:04:32 -0400 (EDT)

Michael,

I understand your point about "bad programming," but must respectfully
disagree. I am only asking that the front end remain responsive to a
user interrupt, no matter what else happens. It already has a very
nice menu item to stop evaluation. Why should such a command ever
fail, or be shown as disabled?

This is not magic, but ordinary system-level programming. It may
amount to just a few hundred lines of code, causing no loss of
performance whatsoever. There are probably a dozen technical people at
Wolfram who are perfectly capable of fixing the problem.

Anyway, perhaps I am not being quite as harsh or negative as you
think. A bit of direct talk is necessary in this case. I would not be
writing anything at all if I did not like Mathematica as much as I do.

Ralph