Re: Using Fit to interpolate data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg127444] Re: Using Fit to interpolate data
  • From: Kris Carlson <carlsonkw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 02:33:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM, jf.alcover <jf.alcover at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not use FindFit and an Exp ?
>
> fbddFit = Exp[-a x + b] /. FindFit[ fiberDataDensitiesFeierabend, Exp[-a*x
> + b], {a, b}, x]

Aha. That is helpful. I had tried using a decay function with Fit and
couldn't get the syntax, but now I see it requires FindFit. Merci. The
power law seems to work better, tho.

In[277]:= fbddFit = Fit[fiberDataDensitiesFeierabend, {x^-13}, x]

Out[277]= 2.4929*10^12/x^13

I wish I had a larger mental library of functions to try, since for these
Mathematica functions you have to suggest a basic form. But maybe the power
law is ok in the range for which I need to interpolate and extrapolate. If
anyone knows any other Mathematica tools, please jump in.

Kris