Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126740] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 05:01:06 -0400 (EDT)

I already have 12Gb; so, that is not a solution. Others have suggested
$HistoryLength = 0, which works. On the other hand, mvary = . did not
change the amount of memory in use at all.

I guess acceptability of the memory/crash problem depends on your point
of view. If indeed the ability to access previous outputs is important
to the way you work (it is not to me), then I can see why it needs to be
there even though it could lead to a crash in extreme cases like mine.
However, the ability to limit this with $HistoryLength gives flexibility
to the user.

I do not make use of the whole In[] Out[] thing, and, in fact, turn
those labels off in all my notebooks.

Kevin