Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126726] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 05:45:58 -0400 (EDT)

Solution: install more memory in your computer?

That answer is sort of a wisecrack, but in real life, my Mac Mini now
has 8 GB of RAM for the benefit of Mathematica -- yet the program
still somehow manages to fill up memory and crash. That is why I keep
glancing at the desktop memory monitor. If memory is almost full, I
can usually stop Mathematica before things get really serious.

That said, my experience has been that disposing of variables (using
myvar=.) does help quite a bit. But I am not reading files very often.
In your case, maybe something about reading a file is making it harder
to free the memory used.

By the way, in case you might be thinking that this whole crash
problem is pretty unacceptable behavior for an app that sells for a
lot of money in 2012.... yeah, you're right, it is.

Ralph