Re: Memory Blowup Issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126767] Re: Memory Blowup Issues
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 04:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

On 03/06/2012 10:03, Ralph Dratman wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Thank you for passing along those tips. I usually put $HistoryLength=1
> and also turn off "Enable Notebook History Tracking" in the
> Preferences dialog -- though I'm not sure the latter makes any
> difference.
>
> I just want to re-emphasize how egregious I think the situation with
> crashing really is. It is unacceptable. I hope everyone is making that
> absolutely clear to WRI. How can we continue to recommend a program
> which often crashes? It defies common sense.

To be fair to WRI, I think the problem is that you have a very complex
piece of software that is partly programmed by users. The kernel does
put out a message if it runs out of memory, so it does detect the
problem (at least under Windows!), but leaving the software in a well
defined and useful state is another matter. The FrontEnd should remain
running.

It is also possible to run calculations using MemoryConstrained.

Assuming the data you are reading in  is an array or real numbers (or of
integers), you should check if Import returns a packed array, and pack
it if necessary - this will save a lot of space.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk