How to make Excel import symbolically

Hi!
I am new to Mathematica 8 Home (Win 7 64) so I would be grateful for some help.

I am trying to import a matrix symbolically from Excel 2010 so that I can manipulate it further on.

I.e in Excel
aa  bb
cc  dd

When I use the Import command I get

{{{aa, bb},{cc, dd}}}

This is not an matrix, it's something else (I don't know what).

1. Can I import the symbolic matrix in one operation? or
2. Can I transform the {{{...}}} to a {{...}}?

TIA Matti