LibraryLink & MinGW

Does anyone have experience with LibraryLink and MinGW?

Using LibraryLink, I am able to load functions into Mathematica from
the shipped version of demo.dll.  From the source file demo.c, I
generate my own demogcc.dll (using MinGW).  Using "objdump -f
xxx.dll", I cannot tell the difference between the two dlls.  Both
export what they should and both look like dlls.

Inside Mathematica, I cannot load functions from demogcc.dll.  The
$LibraryError I get is

Library load error 193: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

There are many command line options for the compiler and linker.
Hopefully, there is a combination that works.
Thank you for your help.
MWG