new functional operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125263] new functional operator
  • From: roby <roby.nowak at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 06:52:12 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group and Mathematica staff.

In the functional programming spirit I am missing a postfix notation
for Map[ ].

Du to its clarity I often prefer the sequentiall postfix style
processing of expressions and data:
e.g.

data//F1//F2//F3

but what if our data is a List and the functions we want to perform on
don't have the Listable Attribute ?.
the clumsy solution now is:

data//F1/@#&//F2/@#&//F3/@#&

therefor I suggest a new functional operator, which e.g. could look
like this: ///
such that my favorit expression would appear in this nice and clear
form:

data///F1///F2///F3

In other words the new /// operator should temporarily activate the
Listable Atrribute for the affected function

any comments welcome

Robert