irritating screen jumps in Mathematica 8.0.4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125275] irritating screen jumps in Mathematica 8.0.4
  • From: Dushan Mitrovich <dushanm at spinn.net>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 06:56:24 -0500 (EST)

Using Mathematica 8.0.4 under Mac OS X.6.8 I finally got irritated
enough by a certain behavior to ask here if there's any way to stop it.

A lot of the typical notebook I work on involves word processing, with
only occasional Input/Output cells as needed.  So most of the equations
are in separate lines and contained in math boxes (enclosed by Ctrl-(
and Ctrl-) ).

If I edit something in one of those boxes, then hit either Up-arrow or
Down-arrow to get out of it and go to the previous or next line, the
cursor jumps to the front or back of the box and all the screen contents
jump _down_.  So going into and out of a math box by repeating either
arrow key combination {Left, Down} or {Right, Up} will cause the screen
contents to keep jumping down until the box is at the bottom of the
screen.  At that point the Left or Right arrow key causes the screen
contents to jump up so the box is inside the window, then the Down or Up
keys jumps it back to where it was.

The jumps (of the screen contents, not of the cursor) almost guarantee
that I'll momentarily lose my place and have to re-find it.  This is the
irritant, and I see no reason why it should exist.  The cursor jumping
into and out of the box would be no problem, as it wouldn't destroy
one's focus.

Have others run into this, and if so is there a way to prevent it?

- Dushan