Re: Different answers in mathematica and my calculator.

Everything boils down to what the value is of (-1)^(1/3), the cube-root
of -1.

The difference is because your calculator is brain-dead to complex
numbers! Mathematica, on the other hand, knows about complex numbers.

If you want to see the Cartesian form of that cube root, evaluate this:

   ComplexExpand[(-1)^(1/3)]

The result, in input form, will be:

   1/2 + (I/2)*Sqrt[3]

What Mathematica is giving you is the _principal_ cube-root of -1.

(This issue is one of the most frequently asked by Mathematica neophytes.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305