Roman Maeder and Computer Science with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg125601] Roman Maeder and Computer Science with Mathematica
  • From: "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale at excelitas.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 05:44:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am reading this interesting book which apparently hasn't been updated for over a decade.  Roman discusses the influence LISP and other earlier languages had on Mathematica's development.  It's also comical that Stephen Wolfram has been saying for years that "one day we will all be programming with functional models".  If you've used C#/.Net it quickly becomes apparent he was correct.

A colleague and I were discussing Mathematica and C#.  We were quite surprised to see the similarities and how .Net is pretty much a functional programming model with direct borrows from LISP.

The point of the email was asking if Roman (or someone else) had considered writing a "Mathematica for C# programmers" book?  Bringing C# programmers into Mathematica with all the ideas from C# and the amazing VisualStudio would appear to be win/win.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you