Re: Question about Initialization Cells

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg126421] Re: Question about Initialization Cells
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 03:51:24 -0400 (EDT)

That's something good to know: from time to time there have been posts
to this list asking about how to arrange exactly the same restriction --
typically by somebody used to another CAS system and expecting
definitions in one notebook, by default, to be confined to that
notebook's context.

On 5/8/12 4:06 AM, David Reiss wrote:
> Evaluate the following in the notebook:
> Options[EvaluationNotebook[], CellContext]
> If the result is
> {CellContext ->  Notebook}
> then that means that the notebook has been set so that any function
> defined in it is defined in a Context unique to that notebook.  If so,
> then those functions will not be in the context path for Mathematica
> to find them in another notebook and would need to be called there by
> their full context path.
> --David
> On May 5, 4:16 am, James Stein<ja... at>  wrote:
>> I downloaded the source code for a Wolfram Demonstrations Project; this one:
>> The first three cells, all initialization cells, each contain a simple
>> one-liner, for example:
>>           dist[p1_, p2_] := Norm[p1 - p2]
>> When I evaluate any of these cells, it appears to define the function, but
>> when I try (in a second, new notebook window) to evaluate the function
>> (e.g., to evaluate "dist[4.5]}), the function is undefined. It is blue i
>> the second window, even though it is black in the first window.
>> But If I type "dist[4,5]" in the demonstration project window itself, all
>> works as expected.
>> The demo project does not appear to be a package; 'dist' does not seem to
>> be private. What am I missing?

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305