From: Brentt
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 1:08 AM
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg126419] Typesetting built-in functions without evaluating

Hello, I've been wrestling with mathematica trying to get it to typeset a
partial derivative in traditiaonal form without evaluating it. The closest
I've been able to come is having it output

in[1]:=D[x,y] //TraditionalForm
out[2]:=Hold[ *typesetted partial derivative here* ]

So I can get the unevaluated partial derivative notation to output, but I
can't do it without having the "Hold" mucking it up. How might one go about
this? I've tried all kinds of complicated schemes, and I'm sure I could
hack together some sort of output form that looks like a pd but that is
actually not. But I figure there has to be a simpler solution that I'm
missing.

Also I've tried setting D to HoldAll. It doesn't work for some reason and
I'm not sure why? Evaluation order is still a dark art to me despite having
read that portion of the manual a few times (in my defense I'm not the
sharpest tool in the shed).