Re: installing cdf-reader on chrome under linux?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126437] Re: installing cdf-reader on chrome under linux?
  • From: A Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 04:59:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Does anyone know how to install cdf-reader as a Chrome plugin under
> linux (I'm using Mint, but it's pretty much Ubuntu...)?
>
> Here's what happens for me:
>   I go to look at a CDF.
>   It offers to install the plugin.
>   I click yes, answer the questions, get a shell archive downloaded.
>   I sudo execute it.
>   I go back to look at a CDF (in Chrome) and it still shows as no
> plugin, offering to install the reader....
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks!

AFAIK there is no browser plugin for linux (yet?). There is the
standalone CDF-Player, and that's what you presumably installed. You can
download the CDF documents you want to watch and open them with the
standalone player. Most browsers do allow to set up external programs to
open certain file types, which you could use to open CDF-files directly
from the browser in the standalone CDF-player. I honestly don't know if
and how that would work for CDF-documents embedded in html, but that you
could test on the demonstration website. If those are not passed
directly to a configured external program, I'd try whether a right
mouseclick lets you save the CDF-file to disk as with e.g. pictures. A
last fallback would be to look at the html source and find the url of
the cdf-document within it to download it directly and then open in the
standalone player.

hth,

albert