Re: Is Mathematica v8 slower than v7 ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg126535] Re: Is Mathematica v8 slower than v7 ?
- From: perplexed <yudumbo at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 05:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On May 16, 10:27 am, David Bailey <d... at removedbailey.co.uk> wrote: > I don't think there is much point comparing the speed of symbolic > calculations from version to version, because later versions may contain > extra rigorous checks - this is certainly the case with certain symbolic > definite integrals. On the contrary, I believe there is a very strong point, at least for me. Mathematica, of which I'm a great fan, has a lot of functions in different fields. Assume that I'm mainly interested in, say, elementary number theory, while I never use statistics or differential equations (or Wolfram Alpha...). Then, if none of the new features of v8 have an impact on what I do, and on the contrary the functions I use more often are slightly slower, then I should think twice about upgrading from v7 to v8.