Re: Is Mathematica v8 slower than v7 ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126535] Re: Is Mathematica v8 slower than v7 ?
  • From: perplexed <yudumbo at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 05:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

On May 16, 10:27 am, David Bailey <d... at removedbailey.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't think there is much point comparing the speed of symbolic
> calculations from version to version, because later versions may contain
> extra rigorous checks - this is certainly the case with certain symbolic
> definite integrals.

On the contrary, I believe there is a very strong point, at least for
me.

Mathematica, of which I'm a great fan, has a lot of functions
in different fields.

Assume that I'm mainly interested in, say, elementary number theory,
while I never use statistics or differential equations (or Wolfram
Alpha...).

Then, if none of the new features of v8 have an impact on what I do,
and on the contrary the functions I use more often are slightly
slower,
then I should think twice about upgrading from v7 to v8.