Sqrt of complex number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg126634] Sqrt of complex number
  • From: Jacare Omoplata <walkeystalkey at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 04:42:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

When I try to find the square root of of a complex number, I get only one answer.

In[1]:= Sqrt[3-4 I]
Out[1]= 2-I

But -2+I is an answer as well.

In[2]:= (-2+I)^2
Out[2]= 3-4 I

Why does Mathematica give the first answer and not the second? Does it choose the answer with the positive real number? Is there any way I can get both answers? Or do I just have to remember that the negative of the given answer is also an answer?

Thanks.