Sqrt of complex number
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg126634] Sqrt of complex number
- From: Jacare Omoplata <walkeystalkey at gmail.com>
- Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 04:42:36 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
Hi, When I try to find the square root of of a complex number, I get only one answer. In:= Sqrt[3-4 I] Out= 2-I But -2+I is an answer as well. In:= (-2+I)^2 Out= 3-4 I Why does Mathematica give the first answer and not the second? Does it choose the answer with the positive real number? Is there any way I can get both answers? Or do I just have to remember that the negative of the given answer is also an answer? Thanks.