Re: Sqrt of complex number

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg126642] Re: Sqrt of complex number
  • From: "Dave Snead" <dsnead6 at>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 05:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

Use Solve to get both answers:

Dave Snead

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacare Omoplata
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:42 AM
To: mathgroup at
Subject: [mg126642] Sqrt of complex number

When I try to find the square root of of a complex number, I get only one

In[1]:= Sqrt[3-4 I]
Out[1]= 2-I

But -2+I is an answer as well.

In[2]:= (-2+I)^2
Out[2]= 3-4 I

Why does Mathematica give the first answer and not the second? Does it
choose the answer with the positive real number? Is there any way I can get
both answers? Or do I just have to remember that the negative of the given
answer is also an answer?